I subscribe to the view that how you do anything is how you do everything – whether it is the mundane simple tasks or the long term strategies needed to drive a business forward. A strong leader is a role model and sets the tone for the organization’s culture. But, the greatest of leaders are those that create a lasting legacy. They are adept at mentoring the next generation of talent and fostering the values and leadership skills that will sustain the organization well into the future. This makes the role of the leader all the more important.
• “The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.” – Max DePree
• “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.” – Steve Jobs
• “The best executive is one who has sense enough to pick good people to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” – Teddy Roosevelt
• “Grant that I may always desire more than I think I can do.” – Michelangelo
The Latin words, Inveniam viam aut faciam – translated as I will find a way or make one, have been with me since my early school days. “Finding a way, or making one” speaks to the drive and competitive spirit needed to creatively persevere for success, and is the philosophy that I’ve carried forward throughout my personal and professional life. The phrase is originally attributed to Hannibal of Carthage, when his generals told him that it would be impossible to cross the Alps with elephants. Hannibal and his elephants, of course, made it through; and, the Romans found out the hard way that the will and desire to win is the defining difference.
• “The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.” – Vince Lombardi
• “Fortune favors a prepared mind.” – Louis Pasteur
• “Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” Paul “Bear” Bryant
• “You can’t behave in a calm, rational manner. Be out there on the lunatic fringe.” – Jack Welch
Your life speaks by its actions. I believe that we are each given a unique set of talents and strengths. Our defining purpose is then to put these skills to good use to make a meaningful difference. For me, living life to its fullest is the positive impact created by serving others – and in that the greatest happiness is realized.
• “When the story of these things is written, let it be said that we did all we could, and it was more than anyone could have imagined.” – Bono
• “You go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, you have purpose in being there. There is something to be done through you, wherever you are.” – Richard Halverson, Former Chaplain, US Senate
• “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” – Mother Teresa
• Carpe diem – Seize the day. “Gather ye rosebuds, while ye may, old time is still a-flying.” – Richard Herrick